Karen Lozano, Ph.D.
The University of Texas-Pan American
Mechanical Engineering Department
1201 W. University Dr.
Edinburg, TX 78539-2999
Office: ENGR 3.252
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Department, Rice University, May 1999
M.S. Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Department, Rice University, May 1996.
B. S. Mechanical Engineering/minor in Business, Universidad de Monterrey, Mexico. Dec 1993
Nanoreinforced systems such as nanostructured polymer composites and nanoreinforced solutions and suspensions, polymer processing and characterization, polymer compounding and engineering, nanotechnology, polymer processing-structure-property relationships, and multifunctional polymer composites. Specifically: Nanostructured polymer composites such as carbon nanofiber (VGCNF) and nanotube (SWNT, MWNT) reinforced thermoplastics and thermosets. Mixing (distribution and dispersion), manipulation and analysis of nanofiber/nanotube alignment, fiber/tube purification and functionalization, thermo-physical, mechanical, electrical and rheological analyses.
- M. Chipara, K. Lozano, M. D. Chipara, “On the Assessment of the Orientation of Carbon Nanofibers Dispersed within Polyethylene by Electron Spin Resonance Spectroscopy” Carbon, Volume 45, Issue 13, November 2007, Pages 2698-2701.
- M. Lizcano, MR Nava-Lara, A. Alvarez and K. Lozano, “C60 structural transformation under ER testing” Carbon 45, 12 (2007) 2374-237
- J. Zhu, A. Imam, R. Crane, K. Lozano, V. Khabashesku, E.V. Barrera; “Processing a glass fiber reinforced vinyl ester composite with nanotube enhancement of interlaminar shear strength” Composites Science and Technology; v67, n7-8, June 2007 p. 1509-151
- Javier Macossay, Alexis Marrufo, Samuel Salinas, Karen Lozano “Thermal Studies and Physical Structure of Poly(methyl Methacrylate)/Vapor Grown Carbon Nanofibers Composites prepared through In Situ Bulk Polimerization” Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research 1 (2007) 23
- R. Benitez, A. Fuentes, K. Lozano; “Effects of Microwave Assisted Heating of Carbon Nanofiber Reinforced High Density Polyethylene” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 190 (2007) 324-331
- S. Yang, R. Benitez, A. Fuentes, and K. Lozano “Dielectric Analysis of VGCNF Reinforced Polyethylene Composites” Composite Science and technology 67, 6 (2007) 115
- K. Lozano, C. Hernandez, T. Petty, M. Siegman and B. Korgel “Nano-laden Liquids as “Smart Fluids”, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science Vol 297 (2006) 618-624